I’ve been to a lot of quiet museums lately. Is your museum quiet? Does it need to be? What if you…
- Create soundscapes in your spaces? Urban sounds? Nature sounds? Other languages?
- Play music in the galleries and exhibits? Different styles on different days?
- Create harmonious experiences? Create cacophonous experiences?
- Create musical audio tours? No narrative, just songs.
- Commission a song based on an object?
- Ask visitors to “score” an object or exhibit?
- Invite musicians to perform? Turn an exhibit into a concert hall?
- Decide on your theme song? Be John Williams epic? Or Danny Elfman quirky?
Do you use music and/or other sounds to help craft and enhance museum experiences? What have you had success, and where has the approach fallen flat?